Sunday, December 24, 2006

To Christmas Or Not To Christmas?

Now what does Christmas mean to me? For one thing I do my best to stay away from the crowded stores. In this supposed season of good will people are often so stressed out that it doesn't take much to push them over the edge. Many are tired from all the running around from store to store looking for gifts and at the same time worried about how much they are spending on these gifts. I've overhead someone make the statement that this is the season of enforced giving. Some are giving but not because they really desire to give but because they are afraid of what others will think or say about them if they don't. They give because they believe everyone else is giving and don't want to risk being different. They give, often to the point of hurt, because they believe that is what they are suppose to do.

One thing is sure the merchants of our society need this season. Many show a loss all year long and depend on Christmas buying to turn a profit. I suspect that this nation's economy would fail without the frenzied buying that accompanies this end of the year holiday.

Then there are those who just don't have what is referred to as the Christmas spirit. They are just going through the motions pretending they do. They don't feel joyful or jolly in spite of all the media hype along with the sounds of the music created for this season. About the only thing they feel is tired. They just want it to be over.

Some believe that Christmas is a the day baby Jesus was born. Others know it is not and that it is just the continuation of Saturnalia an ancient Roman festival celebrated with revelry and gift giving yet still celebrate the day claiming no religious affiliation with it. Quite a few years ago after much research I made the decision that I was no longer going to observe this day. You know, I have not regretted doing so. I have been told that it is my Christian duty to celebrate this day. My response is show me in the Bible where it says to observe Christmas and I will.

Now if like me you were taught that the baby Jesus came to bring peace on earth I leave you with this quote from the adult Jesus: Mat 10:34 Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

No comments: