Sunday, January 21, 2007

Denial Is Not A River In Egypt

Lately I have been feeling like we are in some sort of quiet before the storm? A storm that will bring some sort of national disaster. I haven't the slightest idea what form it will take. I hear on the news people saying that another terrorist attack is inevitable. I see major changes is our weather systems. The housing market is down. Gasoline prices are up. The big three auto makers are shutting down some of their factories. The Social Security system is in trouble. There are increasing reports of sickness due to tainted food. It's like the pot is coming to a boil. The problems are not really being solved they are just being replaced in the news by other problems. I don't know about you but after crises receives it's fifteen minutes or is it fifteen hours of exposer and is replaced by a different news event I tend to think the problem has been solved and I forget about it. In most cases that is just not so. Just because a problem is no longer news worthy doesn't mean it has gone away.

Then there is that part of my nature that doesn't want to hear the bad news. I just want it to go away and am happy when it does. Don't tell me any more bad things I just want to hear smooth things. I just want to go through my day, as the saying goes, "fat, dumb and happy", in sort of a perpetual state of denial. After all it's not like I can do much about the problems, they are too big and too many for me to deal with. They are out of my control. Hearing about them only depresses me. I got more important things to deal with. Things like put gas in the car, what new thing am I going to buy, or how can I get a promotion, and do I have enough to make the minimum payments on my credit cards. These are the important things. So what, if the world is falling apart all around me. I can't do anything about it. I'm having enough trouble just getting through my day. So just leave me alone. I don't want to hear it. Besides those things won't happen to me they always happen to someone else.

No comments: