Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Life Is Aversion Therapy

Finally getting tired of just laying in bed with all sorts of thoughts running through my head I decided to get up and just write. Who knows just maybe I can sort through some of these thoughts that ranged from the war in Iraq to my son Richard, why life, the difference between the human brain and that of the animals and some where in all that noise what I planned on doing today.

Let me start with "why life". I have come to believe this present chemical exhistance we call life is basically aversion therapy. As we go through it making a good many mistakes that have painful consequences we are learning what doesn't work. Now according to the theory of evolution or what I refer to as the cosmic joke theory, we come into life knowing practically nothing. As we experience life we learn and gain wisdom then at the time when we have the most knowledge and wisdom we cease to exist, die. A cosmic joke. Some will say that the wisdom we gained during our existences helps our society move forward. I don't buy that for a couple of reasons one is that there has been whole societies that have become extinct leaving very little or nothing to build on. The other is that as the saying goes the only thing mankind learns from history is that man doesn't learn from history. So if we come from nothing and go to nothing as evolution would have us believe then life is a big cosmic joke. Personally, I just can't buy the idea that all I have learned from a lifetime of stupid mistakes and some successes is in the end all for nothing. How about you?

Then there is what religions teach as the purpose for life. One would have us believe that if we murder ourselves and innocent victims we get to spend eternity with ten virgins waiting on us hand and foot. I can't help but wondering what those virgins did so wrong that they are condemned to an eternity of servicing a murderer. Can anyone tell me do they remain virgins? If so then that can't be any more fun that the poet Dante's imaginary version of hell that has been fostered on many of us as the reward for leading a less than perfect life. That is of course unless we leave enough money or friends to get our so called souls prayed out of it. How much time do you spend praying someone out of hell. Oh wait a minute I think that I made a mistake. One cannot be prayed out of hell. We can only be prayed out of the weight station of purgatory. By the way I did some research on the English word "hell" as used in the Bible. Bottom line is, it means a hole in the ground.

In this same Bible we are given the promise of a resurrection with the opportunity to live life under a different world ruling system. This makes our present experiences and wisdom useful and makes more sense to me.

No comments: